I’ve not seen any deal site mention the fact that T-Mobile’s 50% off pixel 2 promo stacks with 55+ plan. In fact, a few of them go out of their way to list 55+ plan as ineligible for 50% off pixel 2 promo. It isn’t a surprise because even T-Mobile’s twitter gave me a runaround before confirming this deal. I also got a confirmation from a T-Mobile store agent but even the said agent had to call in to confirm the deal.
What is 55+ plan?
It is T-Mobile’s cheap yet unlimited plan for a customer of age 55 or more. You may read more about it in my T-Mobile 55+ Plan is a BEAST! post.
What is 50% off pixel 2 promo?
Now bring your Google Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL to America’s best unlimited network, get a voice line, and we’ll give you back up to half the device cost! Limited-time offer. Via prepaid card worth 50% of Pixel 2 64GB MSRP.
The reality is that this 50% promo is simply a $325 off on any new pixel 2 device. In other words, after rebate pixel 2 64 GB (retail price $649 excluding tax) will cost $325 and pixel 2 XL 64 GB (retail price $849 excluding tax) will cost $525.
The above website does a good job of explaining steps to the promo but for the sake of completeness I’ll reiterate them anyway:
- Get a pixel 2: Buy an unlocked Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL at Google Play, Best Buy or Verizon. You must be the original device owner, so devices purchased from 3rd party sellers (eg: Craigslist or eBay) are not eligible.
- Buy a T-Mobile SIM and Plan: qualifying plans are T-Mobile One and Simple Choice Unlimited, and 55+
- Go to www.t-mobile.com/promotions and use code “17PIXEL2HALF” within 30 days of receiving the device
- Within 6-8 weeks, you’ll receive a prepaid MasterCard for $325
How did 50% off pixel promo stack with 55+ plan?
I recently switched over my existing T-Mobile plan to 55+ plan so my 1st line is obviously not going to qualify but my second line (which costs an additional $10 by the way) will qualify. The unfortunate thing of the matter is that most with 55+ plan probably already have two lines and the only way for them to add a new line is to get out of the 55+ plan.
Is this a good deal?
Yes but you’ve to qualify for it. The reality is that most who’re familiar with 55+ plan probably already have two lines in the plan and won’t qualify for the promo within 55+ plan.
Now, if you’re going to go through this, remember to buy Pixel with credit card that has a price protection (unfortunately not available on Amex) and extended warranty feature. I personally used Citi AT&T Access More card because
- price rewind may come handy during black friday and holiday sales
- +2 year extended warranty
- 3x TYP won’t hurt